Leith Hill, the highest point in the Surrey Hills, is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. This should mean it’s protected from harm by our local council. Unfortunately, the council have allowed Europa Oil to gain permission to drill for oil. The protection of this precious ecosystem is now in the hands of the people. Protectors from all over the country have come together to stand firm against the threat.
On this website you will find information about the hill, why it’s important and how you can help.
Back in 2003, a vigilant local spotted the planing application to drill Leith Hill. He alerted the community of Coldharbour, who created Leith Hill Action Group in order to make themselves heard. For seven years, this group has tirelessly petitioned, researched and represented the interests of Leith Hill. Thanks in part to them, the council ruled to reject the application, at which point the battle looked like it had been won.
No such luck. Europa sought the high courts, and the county council’s decision was overturned. The sitting judge was Justice Ouseley, infamous for his rulings being thrown out under the European Convention of human rights.
This was challenged by the Leith Hill action Group to no avail, and so here we are, at a physical standoff, between our local community’s protectors and the employees of a major oil corporation.
If we do not win this fight, the fate of our green and pleasant land is in grave danger.
The threat is to:
Our water supply
The 400 year old “sunken lanes” of the area
For detail, check out this post by the Leith Hill Action Group
If you would like to take action, there’s lots of ways you can get involved.
- Object to the most recent application on the Surrey Country Council Website
- Join the social media campaign
- Facebook Group for the Camp
- Twitter feed
- Support the Leith Hill Protection Camp. Click here to find out how
- Sign the petition against fossil fuels in Mole Valley here
- Divest (energy supplier & banking) Read more about divesting from oil here
- Educate & inform yourself – Leith Hill is not the only one under threat.
- Spread the word with your friends and family – why not go for a walk up Leith Hill to remind yourselves or discover just how beautiful and special it is?
- Formally object by engaging with the planning process & Environment Agency permitting consultation process.
This is a contact page with some basic contact information and a contact form.